cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile stopped receiving/sending TEXTS 10 days ago, calls ok.

pebbledash
3: Seeker

Can anyone help?

Old-ish phone Samsung Galaxy J6.  Have done some basics, rebooting, clearing cache etc.  Do not disturb is off and not on power save.  Message Centre is +447785016005 but don’t know if that is correct for me.  PAYG. I don’t bank on my mobile but need texting to verify other online payments etc.  Getting to be a serious practical issue.  Did spend hour on 191 with Vodafone but they seemed baffled.  Any suggestions welcome.  Signal isn’t great, but good enough for calls.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pebbledash

Last Post after a poor experience with Vodafone after my Samsung J6 suddenly (2+ weeks ago) started failing to send/receive TEXTS - most importantly OTPs from Banks, Groceries online.  What is the outcome?

Lengthy phone calls to Vodafone 191 (Adamant it had nothing to do with their network and switch off of 3G).  Diagnosis by Vodafone - I needed a new SIM card.  1st didn’t arrive (they cancelled order as I didn’t respond to a TEXT (good grief - NON RECEIPT of TEXTS was the issue).  2nd SIM could not be activated either by me on my ipad or (after more phone calls to 191) by Vodafone.  Vodafone answer was that their Website was under update but couldn’t explain when etc bla bla bla. AND I had to get myself to one of their SHOPS.  (Not possible 200 mile trip and day off work for a driver…).  Here is a USEFUL TIP for SIM SWAP issue - I put ipad to one side and dug out the old PC I had when I first signed up with Vodafone.  (see 2nd AMAZINGLY HELPFUL TIP which meant I could get a text on phone to log in).  Successful on my old laptop and managed to activate SIM SWAP.  2nd TIP came from @miland451  Went to Galaxy Settings - Connections/Mobile Networks/Network Mode and changed from LTE/3G/2G auto correct to “2G only” and texts from days ago flooded in. 

The new SIM made no difference so, because Vodafone has switched off 3G, with nothing else in place and because  I have a 4-5 year old phone, I am currently stuck with having to switch my phone down to 2G to ensure TEXTS or spending a lot of money trying to buy a new smart(er) phone.  Having checked coverage in my area on the very useful site checker.ofcom.org.uk I will be moving away from Vodafone because signal and staff alike have been poor.  Hope some of this helps someone - especially @miland451 great lifesaving temp fix.  Thanks also to @Gemma who thought it would be down to poor reception (SUDDEN poor reception).  Feel “dumped” by Vodafone.  Ask for and was promised a call back on landline from Vodafone manager but it never materialised either.  HeyHO. 

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Where PAYG is concerned @pebbledash the  SIM has to be kept active with some outgoing activity. If it's only kept for incoming this will be the cause of the problem. 

pebbledash

I make calls from time to time and send the occasional text.  But the last 5 texts sent were marked failed.   If i need to send texts and can’t what is the solution?

AnnS

It's a difficult one for sure @pebbledash , Vodafone would suggest completing a manual roam by following this information Manual Roam 

Vodafone would recommend trying your SIM in an alternative phone if possible.  When a SIM card gets old it can start to do some strange things and you may benefit from a replacement SIM.  You can get a replacement SIM through Customer Services, Live Chat or a Vodafone Store, if you go to a store take some photo identity, Vodafone take security seriously.

If texts are failing check out the network at your location from the coverage checker. See here Network Issues 

Thankyou for replies.  Tried Roaming but still no joy.  Checking coverage is scary:

2G limited coverage; 3G no coverage (we’re switching it off); 4G no coverage; 5G no coverage.

Asked Vodafone for new SIM.  Not received yet, after 5 days. Getting exasperated as need to do financial stuff !  Thanks for your advice.

AnnS

From your reply @pebbledash this looks more of a coverage issue more than anything else, especially with 2G limited coverage and no 4G.

The only thing to recommend is WiFi calling with texts but not sure if your phone supports the service.  See here Device Guides 

@pebbledash It may be worth you completing the pro form on this link  and copying and pasting the results back on the thread giving an example of the problem for the Social Team to work on.  They will reply back to you with their findings. @Gemma 

update

Vodafone failed to send a new SIM.  Turns out they sent me a TEXT (even though spent an hour explaining I couldn’t receive texts).  When I didn’t respond  they just cancelled the order,  Amazing as Vodafone had suggested I needed  the SIM to cure a texting issue.  Now ordered a SIM again, but am still stuck waiting for a service from Vodafone - not been able to access bank, groceries ordering etc for nearly 2 weeks.  When on 2nd go at ordering a SIM was told (again) it could take 5 working days more.  Very sad.

AnnS

I did suggest completing the pro forma on the network issues thread @pebbledash giving an example of the network at your location for the Social Team to look into.

I you only have limited 2G reception at the location the reason you are unable to receive texts messages would be due to limited local reception, also indoor reception would be weaker than outdoors.

This is the reason for Vodafone providing WiFi calling ideal when coverage is limited and a lot of phones support texts over WiFi.  

I have the same problem with my Samsung S8. The issue started a few days ago, coincided with the 3G switch-off in my area I think. Vodafone also couldn't fix the issue, sent me a new SIM but same issue persisted. I did find a temporary workaround in order to be able to receive authentication codes. In settings->connections->mobile networks->network mode, select 2G only. Then I can send/receive SMS texts. When I've finished with this, I put the setting back to LTE/3G/2G auto-connect. Interestingly, I don't get the issue if I put my SIM in another phone, or if I put another Vodafone SIM in my phone. So it seems to be the combination of my SIM and my phone. Perhaps some SIM setting is preventing the device modem from being able to handle an SMS text when there is no 3G.

hi miland451

My goodness - same type of issue for sure.  Up until your post I was hitting my head against a brick wall. Vodafone eventually sent another SIM but I and they (191) have failed to activate it.  Got told some story about their Website  needing to undergo an update - but couldn’t say when!! Suggested I go to nearest V Shop but that is a round trip of 5+ hrs.  Just tried your “temp fix” and was flooded with old backed up Texts.  Thank you most sincerely for taking time to post.  When I need to for now it should help - will go 2G when I need to get an OTP for weekly groceries.  Fingers crossed until I can get sense out of Vodafone about the SIM SWAP.  Probably going to have to buy a new SmartPhone… Thanks again.