Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wi-Fi scheduling on the THG3000

Wellington
4: Newbie

I was using this facility last year and then turned it off. I recently turned it back on again, and it doesn't appear to work anymore – Wi-Fi continues to work through my specified 'off' period.

Has this facility been disabled? I tried a firmware update, but there didn't seem to be anything new (Firmware version is 19.4.0551-3261143). I also did a factory reset only last week to correct another issue, and the scheduling issue was there before and after the reset.
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Wellington wrote:.

@Jayach – I was trying this schedule as a test, but my goal was to switch wi-fi off at night to prevent me falling down YouTube rabbit holes…

Wellington_1-1711882710163.png

In this setting, you are telling the Wi-Fi to be on from 21:00 to 22:00. For it to have any effect the Wi-Fi would have to be off normally,

I suspect you meant to set it to disabled as a test.

Jayach_0-1712265118274.png

I assume you definately remembered to press apply.

View solution in original position

14 REPLIES 14

Effie

Hey @Wellington I hope you are doing well. If you speak to the dedicated Home Broadband team on 0333 304 0191 or via LiveChat here, they will be able to look into this for you.

Wellington

Thanks, @Effie. I contacted LiveChat, who confirmed that the scheduling facility is disabled (though they kept referring to the app, rather than the router).

What are my options, here – use a different router (I have an old Linksys in the loft), ditch Vodafone? 

Cynric

@Wellington I think you have four choices; 1. stick with it as it is, 2. change ISP and take the risk that their router also doesn't do what you want, 3. purchase a router that will do what you want, 4. stick with VF and add a device to the local network that can manage the connections.

Jayach

@Wellington 

I'd not ever tried using the schedule, but found it difficult to believe if it's still there in the firmware, it wouldn't work.

So, I tried it, and as far as I can tell, it works fine.

Just what kind of schedule were you trying to set?

Wellington

Thanks for the responses.
@Cynric – I think I'll go with a variation of option 3 – try out my old Linksys to see if it does what I want – and then get a new router if it doesn't.
@Jayach – I was trying this schedule as a test, but my goal was to switch wi-fi off at night to prevent me falling down YouTube rabbit holes…

Wellington_0-1711882458606.png

I was wondering if the router clock was out for some reason, but the times on the event log appear to be correct. I'll experiment with the schedule options some more. 

Cynric

@Wellington BST started at 02:00 today.

We have to wait for the pictures to be moderated before they can be seen.

Jayach

@Wellington wrote:.

In this setting, you are telling the Wi-Fi to be on from 21:00 to 22:00. For it to have any effect the Wi-Fi would have to be off normally,

I suspect you meant to set it to disabled as a test.

Jayach_0-1712265118274.png

I assume you definately remembered to press apply.

Thank you, @Jayach for the clarification. I'd assumed that the 'Status' option ('enabled' or 'disabled') referred to the schedule I had created, not the status of the Wi-Fi itself (that is, the default situation is Wi-Fi always on, so I'm creating a schedule to turn it off, and I'm going to 'enable' or 'disable' that schedule)!

It doesn't matter, but the way it's been implemented seems rather illogical to me. I wonder (idly) if it's possible to set it up the other way (Wi-Fi always off) and use the schedule for specific 'on' times?

Anyhoo – thanks for the fix – I can now prevent myself from watching YouTube until God-knows-what-hour of the morning 👍

(P.S. So much for LiveChat, eh? 😒)

Jayach

@Wellington wrote:
It doesn't matter, but the way it's been implemented seems rather illogical to me. I wonder (idly) if it's possible to set it up the other way (Wi-Fi always off) and use the schedule for specific 'on' times?

I would say, yes you could set it up so it turns the Wi-Fi on via a schedule. You would just need to have the Wi-Fi off by default. (not actually tested it though)

As you were using the schedule previously, it presumably made sense to you at that time.