Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BB Upgrade Offers

tiffy
4: Newbie

Have just received a BB upgrade offer, currently on 200/28 nominal (DL/UL) package with digital phone @ £30 per month, being offered the "500 Mbps" BB package for additional £2 pm or "910 Mbps" BB package for additional £5 pm, both obviously on a 24 month contract.
I appreciate that I would start a new 24 month contract, in my case would be of little significance as only with VF since end of March, just over a month.

However, I'am finding the upgrade packages spec's confusing:
The "500 Mbps" package states "Estimated DL speed 250Mbps DL speed guarantee" & "Up to 500Mbps UL speed" ?
The same applies to the "910 Mbps" package, just upscaled.
I know that DL guaranteed speed is always quoted as much lower than full DL synch speed but why is UL speed listed @ 500/910 Mbps, surely this is the wrong way around or am I missing something ?
Have checked VF's other BB packages listing on their web site and they are what I would consider to be normal with respect to DL/UL speed estimates per package.

Although by existing BB speeds are sufficient to my current needs, at £2/£5 respectively extra per month, not a lot by present day standards, I'am tempted to take up one or other of the offer if I can clarify the package speeds.

19 REPLIES 19

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I can't be sure, but it sounds like you are currently on Openreach, and Vodafone are offering to transfer you to CityFibre..

Do you know if CityFibre have just started suppling your area?

It does seem strange to be being offered "upgrades" so soon after joining.

As stated, I'am already with Vodafone, migrated my FTTP & digital LL from BT on 26/03.
To the best of my knowledge CityFibre don't operate in my area, Northern Ireland.
Yes, it does seem strange offering upgrades this early in my contract, almost too good to be true, however, appears to be authentic 😊

It's just the DL/UL speed listings that I find unusual and confusing 🤔

Jayach

@tiffy wrote:
It's just the DL/UL speed listings that I find unusual and confusing 

Ah, being in Northern Ireland may make a difference.

I've no idea what telecoms is like there, but in the rest of the U.K. any connections via Openreach will have slower uploads than downloads. Any connections where the speeds are the same will be via an Altnet such as CityFibre.

@Jayach wrote:
Ah, being in Northern Ireland may make a difference.
I've no idea what telecoms is like there, but in the rest of the U.K. any connections via Openreach will have slower uploads than downloads. Any connections where the speeds are the same will be via an Altnet such as CityFibre.

The only Altnet I'am aware of in N.I. apart from Virgin Media Cable at present is Fibrus, they are currently not in my area, appear to be concentrating on smaller towns and rural areas where Openreach are not so interested in.

Yes, I was certainly expecting to see the normal DL/UL speed differential on BB packages, that's what I find confusing about the packages on offer !
Attached a jpg snapshot of the packages being offered which hopefully will clarify.

Upgrades.jpg

My daughter who is also Vodafone BB & digital phone since January this year and living in the same area has also received the same upgrade offer.
No real idea how the "910 Mbps" service would be provided, perhaps it's a mistake for this area?
Suppose the only way to find out is to go ahead and accept the offer, see what happens 🤔

Jayach

@tiffy wrote:
No real idea how the "910 Mbps" service would be provided, perhaps it's a mistake for this area?
Suppose the only way to find out is to go ahead and accept the offer, see what happens 🤔

If you go ahead with the upgrade, please do let us know just what speeds you get.

Cynric

@tiffy  As a guess, VF see most of the traffic as D/L and as a consequence only have to "load balance" or "rate limit" it at peak periods. Apart from a few special cases most customers don't push vast quantities of data uphill.

Thanks to both for the comments.

The UG offer also includes this with either package:
UG Offer.jpg

So, think I might as well go through the order process and give it a try.
As the old saying goes, "if it seems too good to be true........." 🤔

Jayach

If you do go ahead, you might not get Ultra hub, you may get the new Power Hub router.

Get even better broadband with new Power Hub router and booster (vodafone.co.uk)

As ever with Vodafone, who know?

Went ahead and requested the 910Mbps BB package last night, have just received the automated e-mail generic acknowledgment to date advising of further information within 7 days.
So, just wait and see what happens next 🙂