Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Coverage map shows 5G signal but doesn't work and its misleading

Mahammad
4: Newbie

2 months ago I've noticed there's 5G coverage available over a location I visit frequently on the coverage map. But every time I visit the location there's no 5G.

Talked with Vodafone twitter team, they say that masts being under maintenance etc typical responses. It's been 2 months and I've just come to the conclusion that perhaps the coverage map is wrong? Not minor incorrect data but the entire map around 1 mile radius is wrong? (see screenshot below)

The address for this location is around 69 Queensland Ave, N18 1AT, near the A10. It shows a solid red block with strong 5G signal indoors and outdoors and since it's an open land there's no walls or buildings blocking the signal. I've got the Samsung Note10+ 5G, I've tested 5G in Central London without issues but with this specific area I've never got 5G signal. 

You can also see streaks of weak 5G signal in the surrounding area as well but no matter where I go (circled the map in the screenshot below) there's no trace of 5G signal, isn't this just misleading? 

My phone shows 2 types of 5G icon. A transparent 5G icon means it's connected to 4G but there's 5G available signal nearby but due to the distance or direction of the mast I'm unable to the 5G signal. The other icon is solid white 5G icon, this means I'm truly connected to 5G. When I'm at this location I get neither the transparent or solid white 5G icons, all I get is 4G. The 5G coverage map in this area is significantly wrong and misleading, I'm aware these maps are made by computer generated predictions but these predictions are no where near true. 

Screenshots:

20201119_142120.jpg

Screenshot_20201119-142240_Call settings.png

21 REPLIES 21

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Mahammad 

Thanks for posting this, we know how important it is to have a strong data connection. Having looked at your postcode I can see that there's maintenance in the surrounding areas, you don't always connect to the mast closest to your postcode necessarily. If you drop us a message over Social Media, we'll be able to take a closer look your connection. You can find out how to contact us on Social Media here

Let us know how it goes!

That's the response I've been getting from Vodafone for the past 2 months. I've been tracking the surrounding mast repairs and they come and go. The repair gets done then more surrounding mast repairs pop-up as time goes on.

It's been a never ending loop that's been going on for 2 months and I can't seem to make progress on resolving this :Sad_face:

I've been walking within a 0.5 - 1 mile radius according to the coverage map and there's no life of 5G signal or perhaps it accidentally hasn't been turned on despite the coverage map's suggestion 😕

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Mahammad - I can completely understand your frustration with this and thank you for trying everything you have so far. Apologies if you have already been advised this but could you please try the following settings for me please? It will try to connect you to another mast and hopefully get better signal 😊

Settings > Connections > Mobile Network > Network Operators > Search Networks > Choose a different network for a couple of minutes then reconnect to the Vodafone Network.

Hi,

I've tried to connect to EE, Three and O2 but it says 'your sim card does not allow a connection to this network'.

I've turned airplane mode on and off to get the same effect but still no sign of 5G.

Coverage map screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/HbXXdup

20201125_141041.png

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your connection to these networks will fail, as your SIM will only allow you to connect to Vodafone. Once this happens, you'll need to switch your network selection back to automatic. This will update your connection with us. Please try this again and let us know how you get on.

Hi, 

I've done that and gone back to Vodafone network but no budge, still getting 4G.

I've decided to go to the hotspot/middle of the 5G coverage and I did indeed get 5G signal after all.

However there's a certain point where the 5G cuts out, it seems like the coverage maps is significantly incorrect. There's about a 0.8 mile radius where there's no 5G signal because it cuts out early.

I've attached a screenshot to show where 5G cuts out and doesn't reach any further despite the coverage map showing it goes 0.8 mile further. 5G cuts out just before Hermitage Lane, London (opposite Wilber Way, London). So the signal actually dies well before it reaches my location N18 1AT.

Would it be possible to get map altered to show true results, to show no 5G coverage in the areas marked in the attached screenshot and not to continue misleading people? I understand the map is based on computer predictions but this is significantly incorrect and the map has been exaggerated to show '5G good indoors and outdoors' as well as 'good 5G outdoors only' in areas that has absolutely no trace of 5G signal. Thanks. 

Please note N18 1AT is not my home postcode and the coverage map screenshot doesn't show my home address, I visit this location for allotment gardening.

20201127_151538.png

20201127_151343.png

Screenshot_20201127-151837_Maps.png

Christhepotter
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Ive just joined vodaphone because there map says there’s full indoor 5G at my home address, but having received the phone I only get a weak 4G signal , spoke to the vodaphone team but no help , they say everything working fine there end 

I think Vodafone are knowingly overstating their 5G coverage.

The map was updated recently and now shows good 5G indoors and outdoors where I am. After quite a few 1st line agents told me it's my phone, it's maintenance or it's some other excuse it was escalated to tech support. They finally admitted what I already knew and there's no 5G on my local mast and in my area.

The map is still wrong. I suspect this is a wider issue at Vodafone and part of the wider systemic culture Vodafone have with customer service.

Glad to know others are facing this issue too. Its a scummy move by Vodafone to be honest.