Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP settings

Yoshi21
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently moved to the Xtra package, on receipt of my new Vodafone router I found the UI clunky and the speed dismal, I have been with Vodafone for many years and always used a TP Link router, I had forgotten just how bad the OE router is. I hunted for a modem router with the ability to provide me with a stable ADSL connection, good Wi-Fi coverage and the ability to use VOIP all in one package. This leads me to the TP Link Deco X73-DSL AX5400 VDSL modem/router. I have found this to me a very good bit of kit but for the life of me and several calls to Vodafone can get no help setting it up, I can not get any account or settings details off them, only to go back to using the substandard OE equipment.

I would be more grateful if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction to get help with this, or even give me a positive yes or no if what I am trying to achieve is possible.

Thank you in advance for your replys.

25 REPLIES 25

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Yoshi21 Have a look here (sorry it's a long thread) https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-...

On the TP Link web site are the manuals and videos.

Thank you for the link, I have been through the setup, I can't get the VOIP username and password from Vodafone. Do you know if it is the same as the DSL password, or is it unique to VOIP?

Jayach

The only 3rd party kit anyone has been able to get the VoIP working on is by Grandstream, so even if you get the VoIP details from Vodafone (some have managed) you are unlikely to be able to use it with your Deco.

THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

You need to port you landline number to a VoIP SIP provider (check out AA)
https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

VF or other BIG ISPs (BT/EE) will not give you u:p as they are using system similar to VoWiFi - aka IMS
to provision the landline number on their routers ........

Ripshod

Incorrect. In many cases they have given the full details (a lot more than just username and password). It depends on the agent you speak to and the day they're having.

If you port your number out in-contract your broadband contract is cancelled with an early termination fee. 

Are you saying they (VF) switched from using IMS to SIP?

Or they have always used SIP, but did not want to give the details?

Is it SIP with SRTP or ZRTP or just plain?

Is the login allowed from UK IP only and only one device or more?

Ripshod

It's SIP with SRTP. The connection is only allowed from the IP your Vodafone service us currently connected to. Don't bother asking about VPN cos that doesn't work either.

I did not know that, thanx for sharing :Smiling:
Just out of interest, what does BT use for DV?

Best to move to independent VoIP provider.
Decent ones offer call recording and more .......

Ripshod

Yes, I agree that it's best to move to a voip provider, but it must be done at the right time not mid-contract.