Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline not receiving or making calls

GryphonM
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have fibre broadband and home phone with Vodaphone. Everything has been fine for the few months up to now, but I got a message from my MIL saying she called but no answer.

Here's the problem.
I picked up the home phone and got a dial tone.
I called the home phone from my mobile and it appeared to be calling, but the home phone didn't ring. While it was trying to connect, I picked up the home phone again and it had a dial tone.

I tried calling my mobile from the home phone but as I was putting the number in, I got a message saying the number you are dialling has not been recognised. This happens for all numbers dialled.

I spoke to webchat and after about an hour and a half they said "I have checked the details, and the line is completely fine and working. You need a VOIP filter to connect your landline to the back of router.

When I asked why it had changed, they said "it is because of incorrect setup so we need to adjust it."

This doesn't make sense as the phone worked perfectly well before today.

They tried to order a filter but said there was a technical issue and they have asked an engineer to contact me in the next 48 hours.

I'm not confident that the issue has been identified correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

There is a voip number active on your router but it's not your number? Reset the router now (recessed button for 10 seconds). This will force your service to be reprovisioned, and hopefully set the correct number on your router.

If that fails then vodafone have messed up and need to own this. 

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

Jayach

@GryphonM wrote:
I'm not confident that the issue has been identified correctly.

I think you are definately right, get back to them, there must be an error somewhere. I very much doubt the engineer will call. Do let us know how you get on.

Just out of interest, how are you connecting the phone to the router? Assuming you are on digital voice.

My phone is connected directly to the BT phone socket, not the router. This is how the engineer installed it.

There is a phone socket on the back of the router but when I tried it, it wasn't our phone number.

Jayach

@GryphonM wrote:
There is a phone socket on the back of the router but when I tried it, it wasn't our phone number.

Wow that is weird. As Vodafone said about the VoIP adapter (there is no such thing as a VoIP filter) they must think you are on digital voice. Is the PHONE led lit on the router?

Try checking your account on-line and see just what phone number is on your account, there seems to be some kind of mix up.

You are still using your original router? it hasn't been changed?

The router is the original one from when I signed up to Vodafone earlier this year. An engineer came out to install fibre to the house and everything worked from that day.

Our original landline number is the one that's registered to our Vodafone account.

Ripshod

Is the "Phone" LED lit on the router? 

Yes it is. It's been lit since day one. What's bothering me is the phone has been working in the BT socket up to now. So what has caused it to not work? 

Ripshod

There is a voip number active on your router but it's not your number? Reset the router now (recessed button for 10 seconds). This will force your service to be reprovisioned, and hopefully set the correct number on your router.

If that fails then vodafone have messed up and need to own this. 

Success!

I've been searching all over for a lead that would connect my phone to the router. It's not the standard telephone plug. I found the Vodafone box and a lead labelled "internet" which fit the green sockets on the router.

When I called my mobile the home number came up and now I can call home and the phone rings.

The webchat person asked me to unplug the router and plug it back in, but didn't ask me to connect the phone to the router. They seemed happy that I had a DSL filter on the phone socket.

Thank you for your help in working out the solution. It's a pity Vodafone didn't contact me first about the change.

Jayach

@GryphonM wrote:

Thank you for your help in working out the solution. It's a pity Vodafone didn't contact me first about the change.

They didn't contact you first about the change, as you joined on FTTP which is, and always has been, digital voice .(VoIP)

The problem seems to be the Openreach engineer leaving you in the BT/Openreach phone socket, which they shouldn't have,