Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor signal since 3g switch off

JAMESORCHARD
4: Newbie

Any one else got poor service/signal since 3g switch off? Think vodafone 3g switch off is a step backwards. My s22 ultra is always warm from always searching for signal since 3g switch off! Before I could get a steady 8mbps now I'm either getting nothing or  rarely 150mbps when 5g appears I've got to put my phone on silent at night to stop all the no service notifications 😑 poor show vodafone I'd rather have a reliable signal than this occasionally 1bar 4g or 1bar 5g

42 REPLIES 42

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Totally understand and appreciate your viewpoint on 3G @JAMESORCHARD 

Many struggle to get a usable signal so any under 5G and 4G was a blessing but networks I understand need to progress with updating the infrastructure. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

As you have mentioned this will be due to a network issue at the location @JAMESORCHARD The first thing to do is check the network from the coverage checker by following the information in this thread Network Issues if you complete the template on the link and copy and paste the results back on this thread, this will will give an example of the issue and something for the Social Team something to go on when they get back to you.

If you don't have WiFi calling set up follow the device guides here Device Guides , this is ideal for when there is a network issue and will stop your phone dropping connection. You can also set up the phone for 4G calling by following the guide here 4G calling 

It's not a network issue signal been going down hill for last few years 😕 WiFi calling is useless for me because I use my phones hotspot for all my Internet needs. I live in the country side beside m4 motorway the local mast postcode sn147pb is approx 1 mile away and just couple of small villages 1.5 miles away  from it. Why commuters need 150mbps for 2 minutes on there journey on the m4 doesn't make sense to me. Surely reliable signal is more important.

Would 5g ultra improve things? There's not much information out there? My understanding is 4g/5g doesn't travel as far as 3g? My contract is out the end of next month what's the bets if I renewed 🤔 there would be no improvement with 5g ultra/standalone. 

5G Ultra just relates to using 5G in standalone mode, without having an underlying 4G network. The coverage pattern obtained - "doesn't travel as far" as you describe - is dictated by the frequencies in use, not the technology used. Low-band coverage tends to cover a larger area than high-band, with certain trade-offs. so if 4G or 5G is deployed on 700/800Mhz, it will "travel" further than 3G on 2100Mhz - all else being equal.

AnnS

You should be getting perfect 4 and 5G indoors and outdoors, you can raise a tell Vodafone about an issue on the coverage map @JAMESORCHARD , the best thing here is to let the Social Team look at the problems you are having. 

They will ask for an example of the issue you are having, this is done by completing and copying and pasting the template on the thread.

JAMESORCHARD

I've done all the social media contact before and online chats through the vodafone app all they do is send you in circles changing your phone settings even though you've already told them it's fine elsewhere. Last time they raised it higher up they had me messaging my Internet speeds for 3 days 3x a day. That time I had an high of 2mbps down too 0.04mbps apparently because I was getting even those low speeds it was fine and they wouldn't raise it any higher. Used to be able to sit anywhere in my property and get service now I've got to sit in one corner holding my phone high progress eh

Well this morning at 7.30  2bars 4g+/5g and 15mbps in a room that is normally E which is edge I believe and usually never loads a web page. and excellent speeds/signal elsewhere. Thought vodafone  were getting their act together but alas I was wrong half an hour later back to rubbish signal/speeds. That goes to show that vodafone could improve the signal strength if they wanted to but choose not too. I assume they were optimising the mast or diagnostics this morning🤔  by the way on the network signal checker I should be getting 5g indoors and out.

JAMESORCHARD

Can anyone answer?  Will the 5g4g signal strength improve at postcode Gl91jg or is it tough luck jog on?