Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VOIP. Callers don't get busy tone

canalmike
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Slowly resolving the endless unexpected issues around switching to VOIP eg hardwired internal extensions don't work - now have 3 DECT phones so that's sorted. But why don't they tell you when/befoe you sign up?

Current issue: I'm on a call using a phone plugged into line 1 on rear of router. Another caller rings my number and hears the ring tone so when I don't answer assumes I'm out. They don't hear a busy (engaged) tone.

After hours and multiple calls to tech support I've been variously told:

* the new incoming call will be transferred by the router to line 2 (socket 2). As no phone is attached to this, it will just ring. This is wrong - plugging a 2nd phone into socket 2 makes no difference. Caller still hears ringing tone but I hear nothing if I'm on line 1. If I'm NOT on line 1 (ie no call in progress) then BOTH phones ring (why...?)

* Plugging a phone into line 2 and leaving it off the hook will generate a busy tone for the 2nd caller. This is wrong. What happens is that ALL calls get a busy tone so my phone never rings.

* switching on voicemail will solve the problem. This is wrong as a) I don't want voicemail and anyway another advisor tells me voicemail does not work on VOIP

* Busy (engaged) tones are generated by the phone, not the line or Provider. So I should 'activate' the busy functionality on my handset. This is surely wrong - I've never had to do this prior to VOIP, and never seen a landline phone that had this function available to switch on/off. Neither of my BT handsets have this function.

Surely 'busy' tones are (should be) generated when the line is busy, not the handset?

Anyone know which of the above (if any) is correct? Or how to resolve the issue?

And can anyone explain the purpose of the 2nd line on the router, other than 'in case the first one develops a fault' (as one advisor claimed, which shows remarkable lack of confidence in their one and only router....)

10 REPLIES 10

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

It's true that the busy tone is generated by hardware but it's not generated by your DECT handsets, it's generated by the VoIP hardware and in this instance that would be the Vodafone router. Do you have Call waiting enabled? Are you alerted to the second call at all?

The Vodafone router has a built in Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA). It's capable of providing the end user with two phone lines (Two SIP Identities). However, as far as i'm aware only TEL 1 is provisioned for use, TEL 2 is not used? I'd recommend saving yourself a headache and go with a proper VoIP provider such as Sipgate, Voipfone, Andrews & Arnold or one of the many others out there.

Hi thanks Paul.

I do sometimes hear a beep on the line when a 2nd call comes in, so I guess Call Waiting is enabled (though never requested). Might getting that removed help (assuming VP can remove it)?

So if it's the router that generates the busy tone, how do I get it to do that, as neither 1st nor 2nd line tech support seem to know how......

Both Tel 1 and Tel 2 are provisioned. I can plug a phone into Tel 2 and get a dial tone, though as I say it seems pointless. It operates on the same number as Tel 1, and seems to have no useful function in terms handling incoming calls. Or outgoing. I could use it for my DECT phone instead of Tel 1 but still have the same issue.

Jayach

@canalmike wrote:

Slowly resolving the endless unexpected issues around switching to VOIP eg hardwired internal extensions don't work -

Actually hard wired extensions will work fine, you just have to disconnect them from the BT line and connect them to the TEL connection.

Amazing! Really?

When OpenReach 1st came to install the fibre line I asked the engineer if he'd be doing that and he said it wasn't possible, so I sent him away without installing the fibre!

Contacted Vodafone who said the same thing, but suggested getting DECT phones to replace the extensions. Bought 3 DECTs and rescheduled installation and again the OR engineer (different one) confirmed extensions could not be wired into the router so would not work.

Anyway - water under the bridge now, it's the busy tone annoying me now.

But there seems to be a considerable amount of confusion about how VoIP does/does not work even from 'professionals' who ought to know!

Just wondering if you managed to solve this lack of engaged tone?

Like yourself, I’ve drawn a blank with tech support. The phone line works fine other than this issue. I’m using a triple set Panasonic digital phone with answer phone base unit and cannot find any settings that might help. 

MVDC
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Same Problem see my several posts  MVDC here is the final answer.

I would like to inform you that we currently do not have the solution for the issue you are facing with call waiting feature on your Vodafone landline. We regret the inconvenience caused

Is there still no resolution of this problem - it is almost a year since the post above. As I understand it  all other VOIP providers have sorted this problem - why is it taking Vodafone so long?

Hi @Nicholasareeves  I'm sorry that it has been resolved yet. I've raised this to the relevant teams now so this will be looked into. Thanks for bringing this back to our attention.

Hi @Janey Any chance you can get some one to look at Call Divert for Voip on Full Fibre. For some it seems to work for others like me it doesn't work.  There is also conflicting advice from advisors with some stating that it is available and others it's not. If a basic feature like this which has been available for years on PTSN is not available on Voip then its a backward step.